Sunday 5 June 2011

My child struggles with homework and he's in fourth grade...?

Hi, my child is on the 504 plan and has an IEP but he still struggles with homework. I have a hard time as well because homework time turns into arguing time. My mom said to me tonight that she can see me suffering and all I want for my child is to have success with his education and happiness. He has Tourretts %26#039; Syndrome so his handwriting is horrible even with Occupational Therapy. I just don%26#039;t know what to do. I know putting him on a schedule will cause more fighting because I%26#039;ve as well as my family have spoiled him. How can I change things and ppl please be nice. I almost died having my son and I am a good mother...I have volunteered at his school, he takes singing lessons etc...I just need some advice or ideas/tips on homework. What should be done...his teacher already knows the situation which is why she is recommending he go to a school that has smaller classes and can help him more next year. I feel like I am at a lost...he%26#039;s never stayed back and has passed the FCAT but I am worried about this year because of his handwriting. I want the best for my son...should I get tutoring/counseling, take him to the library every day after school to do his homework? Help. Thanks for being sensitive about this. This is a very difficult subject for me and I am already depressed about it so plz don%26#039;t be mean with your answers. Thanks.|||Hon. don%26#039;t be depressed you are not the only person struggling with a loved one suffering from tourettes syndrome. You are trying to get him help I take my hat off to you. Tourettes kids can be very strong %26amp; willful, they can also be the most caring affection kids you can ever meet. You have to be firm %26amp; straight with him.





Can you help him with home work try writing practice in small doses, pick something he loves (whether it%26#039;s a cartoon character or TV show) %26amp; write a few lines %26amp; practice together. Or do you know any high school kids or Uni students (preferably a uni student studying to be a teacher) that could assist you? He definitely needs some additional counselling/tutoring but it has to be done in a fun way or he will rebel.





Think outside the square - play a game when he gets home from school. When he wants to ask you something tell him it%26#039;s a new game %26amp; he needs to write down his request/question. (Anything to make it not seem like work). Are there no after hours teaching facilities available @ yr his school?





Good luck sweetheart, everybody has peaks %26amp; troughs in their life, things will work out stay positive %26amp; focus on the end goal. Take care:D|||i had this problem in 4th grade.nothing worked for me.but try to give him confidence.dont put him down.if he starts argueing show that ur in charge.make sure he knows that ur watching him.cuz he doesnt want to be getting into a fight hes gonna lose.|||try sylvan learning center on-line or personally.


(this is tutoring)





hope this helped

No comments:

Post a Comment